Need a double-dose of chocolate? Try these chocolatey cookies covered with a deep chocolate frosting. This is another family favorite treat from both my mom and grandma!
Frosted Chocolate Drops
- 1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift flour, then measure)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well-beaten, at room temperature
- 2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup butter, room-temperature
Soft Chocolate Butter Frosting
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- In a double boiler (or use a small pan set over another pan with water simmering on low), melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until just melted. Remove from heat and cool while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, sift flour baking soda and salt together, sifting ingredients for a total of three times. (The pre-sifted flour will have undergone 4 siftings by this point).
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla and milk and reserve for later use.
- In a standing mixer or with a hand mixer, mix butter on high speed until light and lemon-colored. On medium-low speed, add sugar gradually, in three waves, allowing to mix after each addition.
- Next, slowly add the beaten egg, and the melted-and-cooled chocolate.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and vanilla-milk mixture in three rounds, mixing until smooth after each addition. Stir in the almonds.
- Drop by spoonfuls on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When cool, frost with Soft Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Mix powdered sugar, cocoa and 1 teaspoon milk. If the mix appears a little dry, add a splash more of milk, probably no more than 2 teaspoons milk.
- Beat in butter until mixed through.
- Spread onto Chocolate Drops immediately. This should set quickly.
Soft Chocolate Frosting