Bake sale, birthday party, holiday, office pot luck, gift baskets, dessert tray, (breakfast?)… These lemony-sweet squares will be a huge hit, no matter the occasion. Using ingredients that you may already have on hand, you can pull together this easy recipe in no time. Be careful, as you may need to make a double batch. They go quickly!
Mom’s Lemon Squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, from 2 to 3 lemons
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Into a medium sized bowl, sift together flour and confectioners' sugar. Thoroughly mix butter into the mix to create the crust batter.
- Press crust batter into an ungreased 8 x 8 x 2" square pan, building up a 1/2 inch edge. Bake crust for 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, beat remaining ingredients: eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon juice and its zest. Spread onto cooked crust.
- Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, until filling is set.
- Let cool to room temperature then dust with confectioners' sugar before cutting into squares and serving.