A quick, vitamin-packed vegetable dish is always welcome in our house. We like this with our stuffed pork chops, but the vibrant green and red colors of the spinach and peppers make a colorful bed for any roasted or grilled fish or meat.
Wilted Spinach with Red Bell Peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced horizontally
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted almonds
- Warm olive oil over medium low heat in a large sauté pan. Add garlic cloves and sauté for a few minutes until softened, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add spinach on top of the garlic and peppers to begin the wilting process. You may have to put in the spinach in a few handfuls at a time, waiting for each handful to wilt slightly to make room for the next bunch.
- Stir in crushed red pepper and kosher salt. Saute spinach for approximately 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and serve with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.