Here’s a flavorful, warm and comforting white chili recipe you can use with your leftover turkey this week. Regular old chicken will definitely work for this too. Enjoy!
- 3 cups cooked turkey or chicken (mix of dark and white meat), cut up
- 3 pieces of uncooked bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced (reserve 2 tbs of this for garnish)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 roasted garlic)
- 2 cans (4 oz) green chilies, chopped
- 2 cans (15 oz) Great Northern white beans, rinsed
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 whole jalapeño, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons masa (corn flour) or cornmeal
- 1 cup grated monterey jack, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream, garnish
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, garnish
- Avocado slices, garnish (optional)
- Pico de gallo, garnish (optional)
- Corn tortillas, warmed, to serve along side chili
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy but not burnt. Remove bacon, chop and set aside. Leave bacon oil in dutch oven and over medium heat add onions and garlic (squeeze in roasted garlic if using), saute for 8-12 minutes until softened. Add chopped green chilies, beans, and jalapenos. Pour chicken broth into the pan. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, bay leaf and a pinch of cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, add 3 cups of cooked chicken, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Mix milk with masa (or cornmeal) and pour into the chili. Cook for an additional ten minutes to thicken. Check seasoning and adjust, adding cayenne pepper and paprika. Remove bay leaf.
- Add 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese to the pot and stir to melt.
- Serve chili in a bowl. Garnish with bacon bits, cilantro, sour cream, 1/2 cup mj cheese, pico de gallo and avocado. Roll up warm corn tortillas and serve on the side of the bowl.
(*Adapted this recipe from Ree Drummand’s Simple White Hearty Chili recipe. Thx!)