Recently, Michelle and I had the pleasure of dining at our friend Kyle’s house. Amongst the outstanding spread he laid out for us was a little bowl of pickled mustard seeds and all sorts of things to spread them on. I have always loved pickled mustard seeds but never dug in to try to make them. This wonderful assortment of deliciousness pushed me over the edge. I asked Kyle for his recipe and made them myself. They came out amazing! So glad he shared the recipe. Here it is:
Pickled Mustard Seeds
- 1 cup Yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Mirin (substitute 3/4 cup sake + 1/8 cup sugar)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Salt, kosher
- Combine all ingredients together in a small sauce pan and bring to a very gentle simmer over low heat.
- Cook until the seeds are plump and tender (about 45 minutes). If too much liquid has evaporated add just enough water to cover the seeds.
- Cool and store covered in the refrigerator.
These will keep for several months.
Source: Kyle Hildebrant