In the previous skirt steak fajitas recipe we created, we put together quite an intense flavor but in recent years have desired to simplify things a bit. This is (so far) the simplest form of our skirt steak fajitas and garners praise every single time we make it.
Simple Skirt Steak Fajitas (2.0)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar or Mexican brown sugar
- 2 pounds inside skirt steak, cut into 3 equal pieces
- In a blender, put in oil, beef broth, vinegar, sesame oil, scallions, garlic, lime juice, red pepper, cumin, and sugar and puree. In a large heavy duty, zip top bag, put pieces of skirt steak and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow steak to marinate for 1-24 hours in refrigerator.
- Remove steak from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Cook on VERY HOT grill for 1-2 minutes per side. When finished cooking, place meat in double thickness of aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove meat from foil, reserving foil and juices. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Return to foil pouch and toss with juice. Serve with grilled peppers and onions, if desired.