Steak with Citrus Harissa Gremolata
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, (option: reserve 2 tsp for grapefruit-olive side)
- 4 to 6 sprigs lemon thyme leaves, chopped
- Zest of one grapefruit (take care not to include the bitter pith); option: supreme* the grapefruit wedges and cut in 1/2 and reserve for grapefruit-olive side
- Zest and juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon harissa or sriracha chili paste
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives, for a grapefruit-olive side)
- Optional: Butter lettuce washed and removed into cups
- Optional: Chopped tomatoes
- Season steak with 1 tsp salt and pepper and let it come to room temperature.
- For the gremolata, combine pistachios, parsley, lemon thyme, grapefruit zest, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, chili paste, and remaining salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Let the mixture rest for 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature. Alternatively, you can refrigerate for 24 hours and bring to room temperature prior to serving.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill steak until dark grill marks develop, which should take around 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and grill on the second side another 3 or 4 minutes; the steak should still be pink in the middle.
- Remove to a cutting board, cover with foil, and rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle a good amount of the gremolata over the steak before slicing, reserving a portion for serving.
- Slice the steak across the grain and serve in one of the following ways:
- Side grapefruit-olive option: Mix grapefruit wedges with chopped kalamata and 2 tsp chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lettuce cups option: Chop steak into 1/4″ cubes and serve a few pieces at a time inside butter lettuce leaves “cups” along with chopped tomatoes and a drizzle more of gremolata.
- *How to supreme: http://www.marthastewart.com/1049240/supreming-grapefruit
We love love love this recipe! It’s meaty, zesty, and delicious – such a refreshing way to eat steak.