Sticky-sweet and savory chicken paired with fragrant steamed rice is a big winner in our household. We wanted to move beyond teryaki chicken and finally landed on our version bourbon-infused poultry. The magic of marinated and moist chicken (yes chicken breast can have flavor!) is showcased here.
- •4 large (2 pounds) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- •1 teaspoon ground ginger
- •4 ounces soy sauce (or 6 ounces soy sauce alternative)
- •2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- •1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- •3/8 cup bourbon
- •1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- •1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, soy sauce (or soy alternative), onion flakes, sugar, bourbon and garlic powder. Mix together and pour over chicken breasts that have been placed in a 9 x 13 in baking dish, or in a zip top bag. Cover dish or zip up bag (removing most of the air out of the bag) and place in the refridgerator. Marinate 4 hours up to overnight.
- Roasted Chicken Method:
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C). Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Pour extra marinade into a saucepan and return chicken to 9 x 13 baking dish. Dot the chicken breasts with 1/8 cup of the butter. Place the other 1/8 cup of butter into the sauce pand and melt into the extra marinade as you reduce sauce over medium-low heat for approximately 20 minutes. Roast chicken, basting frequently with the reduced, buttery bourbon marinade, for 50 minutes or until chicken is well browned, and juices run clear from the meat (internal temperature approximately 165 degrees F). Pour the remainder of the marinade over baked chicken and serve with fragrant steamed rice like jasmine or bastmati.
- Stovetop Chicken Method:
- Preheat a pan over medium heat and melt 1/8 cup of butter. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess and place into heated pan. Pour extra marinade, adding 1/8 cup of butter, into a saucepan and reduce over medium-low heat for approximately 20 minutes, while the chicken is pan-frying. Cook chicken in pan approximately 8 to 10 minutes per side until chicken is well browned and juices run clear from the meat (internal temperature approximately 165 degrees F.) Pour the remainder of the marinade over the chicken during the last few minutes of cooking the chicken, so that some of the sauce sticks to the chicken. Serve chicken with fragrant steamed rice like jasmine or basmati.