A few years ago I made this dish TWICE in one week. That usually NEVER happens around these parts. It was that good! I fell in love with how shrimp, tomatoes and feta roast themselves together in a delicious swirl of salty, savory goodness. Serve your baked shrimp with wilted spinach, and whole wheat pasta, brown rice pasta (gluten free!), or just brown jasmine rice for a fiber-icious, healthy meal!
Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes. (Adapted from E. Kreiger.)